Membership Development Manager
Reports to: Director of Membership & Events
BACKGROUND: The Silicon Valley Organization [The SVO] represents more than 1,200 businesses in the San Jose/Silicon Valley and has been the catalyst, convener and champion of business for 133 years. Its members are both small, independently owned businesses as well as Fortune 500 companies and together, employ more than 300,000.
Position Function: The Membership Development Manager is a full time sales position within
The Silicon Valley Organization, and reports directly to the Director of Membership & Events.
Membership Sales Managers are responsible for recruiting members and assisting them in becoming involved in SVO activities, and will also build upon the organization’s revenue through improved member retention.
Ideal Candidates: Must have recent sales experience and success. Must be able to approach businesses using a variety of methods, including but not limited to, cold-calling, field work, resource lists and referrals.
• Bachelors Degree and/or recent sales experience and success.
• Be knowledgeable of and comfortable with working throughout the Silicon Valley region.
• Exceptional customer service and presentation skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and proven phone skills.
• Ability to learn and master our internal membership database (Chamber Weblink).
• Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and proven ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
• Flexibility to handle frequent changes and rescheduling.
• Working knowledge of MS Office suite software (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Flexibility with schedule and ability to meet unusual or long hours as needed.
• Team player and collaborative worker.
• Understanding and working knowledge of social media tools.
• Must have a valid California driver’s license.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
• Actively seek out prospective members, schedule appointments and personal visits, educate and inform as to the programs and benefits offered by The SVO, and follow-up in a timely and appropriate manner. Requires the ability to ask for and close the sale.
• Maintain a working knowledge of goals, objectives and services provided by The SVO.
• Consistently achieve budgeted revenue goals.
• Participate in and staff membership programs & events as needed and requested.
•Organize and staff membership and partner activities, events and meetings as assigned, including ribbon cuttings and grand openings, and Business Referral Network meetings.
• Identify qualified leads and conduct sales presentations.
• Develop a working knowledge of all member benefits.
• Attend regular staff meetings.
• Assist new members to become involved with SVO activities.
• Participate in and develop the Business Referral Network (BRN) program.
• Make retention calls as requested.
• Perform other duties as requested or as necessary.
Be A Live Resource
• Distribute information and collateral to partners, members and prospective members.
• Maintain a working knowledge of member benefits, SVO events and programs.
• Actively support and participate in SVO and affiliate events and programs.
• Attend regular team meetings and events.
It will be the responsibility of the Membership Development Manager to work with new members during their first year of membership. During this time the Membership
Development Manager will work to involve new members in SVO events and programs.
Must be able to drive to locations.
Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
Compensation: Base salary plus commission
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K matching
Candidates must submit salary range expectations, business references, resume and cover letter. Failure to do so will result in your information not being reviewed. Unscheduled, in- person visits will not be accommodated.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibility from time to time, as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
Microsoft Office: 1 year (Required)
Sales: 2 years (Required)
Microsoft Outlook: 1 year (Required)
High school or equivalent (Required)
San Jose, CA 95113 (Required)
Driver's License (Required)
United States (Required)
On the road
Paid time off
Professional development assistance
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
Monday to Friday
8 hour shift
10 hour shift