Name: Josué Garciá
Company: Santa Clara & San Benito Counties Building & Construction Trades Council
In your opinion, what are the biggest challenges within workforce development in Silicon Valley?
The biggest challenge is that our younger generation in the workforce don't know about the career opportunities in Silicon Valley.
In your opinion, what are the biggest opportunities within workforce development in Silicon Valley?
The biggest opportunity is that we have a young workforce in Silicon Valley that is willing to get extra training and education.
In your opinion, what should PRIORITY 1 be and why?
Companies need to look at investing in workforce training/education as an industry and not just as a company.
The 2017 Strive Summit took place on Friday, April 28 at the Microsoft Conference Center in Mountain View. The Strive Summit brought together business and industry leaders who are pursuing innovative strategies around building their talent pipelines and creating career pathways for Silicon Valley students. The summit featured an industry panel that discussed the business case for investing in career pathways and included the following industry speakers:
- Patty Nation, Director of Global Corporate and Community Engagement, Xilinx
- Melina Wyatt, Manager of This Way Ahead, The Gap
- Josue Garcia, CEO, Santa Clara & San Benito Counties Building & Construction Trades Council
- Brynt Parmeter, Director of Workforce Development, NextFlex
- Christian Pellechia, Vice President of Operation, Slatter Construction