Program Day #1: Local Government and Civic Tech
Goal of Day: Local Government functions as the backbone of city life, providing services and ensuring a basic quality of life. (for a list of city services & agencies, click here.) Today we will seek to understand what a city can do beyond this basic function to drive prosperity, better engage existing community members and entice others to become active participants in the community.
Venue: Begin at San Jose City Hall 200 East Santa Clara Street 17th Floor (Room 1734; City Manager’s Conference Room)
- Opening remarks from Mayor Sam Liccardo and Chief Innovation Officer Shireen Santosham
- Basic civics (what does local government do?)
- Innovation in the City of San Jose as led by the City Manager’s Office of Civic Innovation & Digital Strategy. Presentation by Kip Harkness, Deputy City Manager and Michelle Thong, Service Innovation Lead
- Interactive session focusing on forward-looking project areas that the City is actively working on and where feedback from the LSJ cohort would be valuable.
- Walk to Transportation Management Center (across the street from City Hall). The Transportation Management Center will provide a fun behind-the-scenes look at a City “control room” where live data and video from traffic intersections are on display, and real-time decisions are made to optimize traffic flow.
- Tour of Transportation Management Center with DOT staff
- Walk over to US Patent & Trademark Office 26 S. 4th Street San Jose 95112
- Lunch at USPTO followed by facility tour.
- Walk to WeWork Towers, 75 E. Santa Clara Street San Jose 95113
- Tour of WeWork; welcome by Ana Lukner Roljic, Managing Director at ABC Silicon Valley
- Introduction to Civic Tech & Government Tech by Kevin Miller, Director of Civic Technology, Microsoft
- Panel Discussion on Data Driven Decision Making: How do we use data to solve public interest challenges?
Sharon Winslow Erickson, City Auditor
Janet Phan Habib (LSJ Class of 2016), Senior Crime & Intelligence Analyst, SJPD
Imre Kabai Chief Technology Officer, County of Santa Clara
Vijay Sammeta, Former Chief Innovation Officer, City of San Jose; Founder, Civic Foundry
Erin Berman, Innovations Manager, San José Public Library
- Cross Sector Collaboration: Using Data to Drive Decision Making (small group interactive problem solving)
- Groups report out
- Touch base on Community Impact Project
- Happy Hour at San Pedro Square Market