Program Day #3: Arts, Culture and Philanthropy – April 12
Goals of the Day: To expand awareness of San Jose’s unique cultural scene, inspire a deeper engagement with the arts, and develop an understanding of art as place making.
Venue: Starting point is the San Jose Museum of Art, 110 S. Market Street, San Jose.
- Welcome and overview by Margaret Tamisiea, Director of Community Development, and Madison Nguyen, Executive Vice President, SVO
- Presentation by SJMA followed by tour
- Erin Salazar, Executive Director, Exhibition District, gives an overview of downtown murals and public art
- Depart museum for Martin Luther King, Jr. Library: use maps to locate public art along the way.
- Docent-led tour of King Library Public Art Collection
- State of the Arts panel discussion
Moderator: Connie Martinez, CEO, SV Creates
Siobhan Kenney, Director, Global Community Affairs, Applied Materials
Danny Harris, San Jose Program Director, Knight Foundation
Ron Muriera, Arts Commissioner, San Jose Arts Commission
- Begin walk to SOFA district
- Lunch at Cafe Stritch with Steve Borkenhagen, Arts Scene Historian
- Walk to MACLA and tour exhibits
- San Jose Taiko! Drumming workshop
- Roy Hirabayashi, Co-Founder, San Jose Taiko
- Work on Community Impact Project
- Happy Hour!