The Silicon Valley Organization offered its members and the business community at-large a chance to learn more about their rights as business owners when it comes to ICE work-site enforcement.
On Monday, April 23, The SVO hosted this free workshop (see video above), to offer an overview of federal and local policy changes on immigration; a snapshot of immigration economic contributions in San Jose; rights and responsibilities in the I-9 Audit, workplace raise and under AB 450.
Specifically, the workshop answered the following questions:
- What is actually happening right now with ICE worksite enforcement in California?
- What must and can employers do in the face of this reality?
- What are some of the secondary issues to understand?
The SVO's Executive Vice President Madison Nguyen kicked off the event, setting the stage and introducing San Jose Vice Mayor, Magdalena Carrasco, who gave the opening remarks and shared a bit about what the city of San Jose is doing around this issue.
Other speakers included:
- Supervising Attorney, Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center, Ruth Silver-Taube
- County of Santa Clara- Office of Immigration Relations, Teresa Castellanos
- Assistant to the San Jose City Manager, Office of Immigration Affairs, Zulma Maciel
See the full presentations below.